Mike Castro CMI® at 440-328-4142
Mold is a woolly growth produced mostly on damp or decay organic matter.
A fungus that causes organic matter to decay
At times considered a media hype even a deal killer.
Fungi, Fungus, Mildew, Mold.
Mold is found everywhere in the world.
There is no such thing as Black Mold, Mold takes on the color of the product it is biodegrading, it just so happens to be black most of the time. It can be green, blue, white, black, red, orange, fuzzy, etc.
Biggest complaint is when it is visible indoors.
There are 1,000's of different species.
The most common types of mold found in homes:
Aspergillus, a fairly allergenic mold and most commonly found mold in homes.
Cladosporium, typically a black or green "pepper like" substance that grows on the back of toilets, painted surfaces and fiberglass air ducts.
Penicillium, recognized by their dense brush-like spore-bearing structures called penicilli. Penicillium is extremely common on damp building materials, walls and wallpaper, floor, carpet mattress and upholstered furniture dust.
Alternaria, species are known as major plant pathogens. They are also common allergens in humans, growing indoors and causing hay fever or hypersensitivity reactions that sometimes lead to asthma.
Stachybotrys chartarum (also known by its synonym Stachybotrys atra,
also known as black mold or killer mold. Though all mold can be black). It is usually a greenish-black color. There is no precise information about how often Stachybotrys chartarum is found in buildings and homes.
While it is less common, it is not rare. Growth occurs when there is excessive moisture from water damage, excessive humidity, condensation, water infiltration, or flooding. Constant moisture is required for its growth.
It is not important to test what type of mold you may have. All molds should be treated the same with respect to potential health risks and removal.
Mold survives by consuming the product it is biodegrading.
Mold produces 1,000's of tiny mold spores.
To survive Mold needs: organic matter, moisture, and oxygen.
No treatment will prevent or remove mold or mildew permanently.
Regardless of what they sell or say, mold can only go dormant or be physically removed.
In order to grow, mold fungi require that the following conditions are present:
• a temperature between approximately 45° F and 85° F;
• food. This includes a wide variety of materials generally found in homes; and
If any of these requirements are of insufficient levels, all mold growth will stop and the fungi will go dormant. But most molds are difficult to actually kill.
The key to getting rid of mold is to get rid of the moisture.
Determine the source of moisture. Repair the leak, and/or dehumidify the area.
Who are more at risk? People with allergies may be more sensitive to molds. People with immune deficiency, some form of lung disease, small children, and the elderly are more susceptible to fungal infections.
Why hire me as your Master Home Inspector?
Thermal Imaging and the latest tool technology are used by me in all my home inspections to help find moisture or any other problems that could lead to possible mold development. This is what makes me the Best Master Home Inspector in Northeast, Ohio.